Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nothing to fear but fear itself

A core componant of the function of my job is product demos. As a director, this function would be foreign in other more established enterprises. However in a small start up, everyone wears multiple hats, and anyway...I really enjoy it. Over the last five years, my work roles have kept me away from customers sales and squarely in front of executive management, and lots of process. Its fun to be out "pressing the flesh" again.
I find myself in front of a diverse cross section of people. Most have some interest in social media, or at least what customers are saying about them or their customers. We have made a huge impact on the PR agency market, and are seen in some circles as the defacto leader in the social media monitoring space, by many who experienced in these areas.
I also speak to people who are not at all experienced nor comfortable with social media. Suprisingly, these people are very often long tenured public relations professionals who, I expect, have been somewhat blindsided by the impact that social media has created. These people distinguish themselves by displying an emotion I was at first shocked to see: fear.
I think these people are the survivors in a profession that seems short on tenure. They came up their trade in a time when traditional media was king, and terms like" impressions", "focus groups" and "buys" were what drove the market, and influenced their customers.
And then...the internet became more that websites and email. Customers have slipped off the radar of traditional PR, and seemingly out of their grasp of comprehension. As the consuming public raises their voice on forums, blogs, and tweets, it becomes a whisper in the ears of these poor souls.
So they come to me, with hat in hand and eyes wide, ready to be overwhelmed with new technology and new terms to learn. They fear the technology, the need to learn what we do, what to tell customers, how to interperate data; most of all, I think they fear the future. Comfortable in their knowledge of all things media, they were the experts in public relations, trusted by their customers to make wise decisions about where money should be spent to maximize return.
What I would say, if I could, is don't fear this. It is easy to understand, easy to explain, and most of all, it IS the future of the internet. People have found voice in the internet, and sharing thoughts, ideas, feedback and advice, to all parts of the consuming public. Embrace the future, it looks so fun!

No comments: