Sunday, December 14, 2008

Remember the Ostrich in Bugs Bunny?


As I blogged about previously, I left a large ,well established software firm this past summer, whom I refer to as “Major Corp”, to join a fast moving start up.

One of the things I have learned since joining this company is just how much social media has impacted the business environment.

Some recent studies have suggested that as many as 40% of all consumers would prefer to interact with a company, prior to making a large purchase. Social media provides the perfect context in which to do so.

So, the recent conversation I had with a sales manager at Major Corp is overwhelming to me.

Major Corp. does not maintain much of an online presence. Of course they have a website, but they do not interact in social media whatsoever. No blog, no Twitter account, no Facebook. In fact, the majority of the marketing money they spend is on two large events per year, where they invite feedback from current customers, meanwhile making sure that the customers are well fed and watered. Yep, you heard me; current customers. If I revealed their name, I would challenge you to find marketing ANYWHERE that was aimed at attracting new customers.

So, it seems that recently, a few enterprising members of the sales team approached the director of marketing for Major Corp with a simple idea. They wanted to start a blog, updating interested parties about the new things going on at Major Corp, trends in their market, etc.  Their thinking was that it would be a great way to get people interested in talking to them, and may turn into eventual sales opportunities. They understood that any posts would have to be approved by marketing, but were willing to spend the extra effort, feeling that it would be worth it.

The answer? - No. It seems that the marketing department was concerned that people would be tempted to leave negative comments, if they found the blog. I’m not kidding.

So stuck in the past are they, so comfortable that they maintain a lead in the marketplace, that they are diligently AVOIDING input to help build their business beyond current results. And now, as the recession truly takes hold in the global economy, I am told they are suffering an erosion of customers, and a loss of real new opportunities.

Ask me if I’m happy to be with this new company.

No comments: