Sunday, February 22, 2009

A moment to reflect


This past week I visited a client in New York City. They are located in lower Manhattan, and as I looked them up on Google Maps, I noted in passing that they seemed to be very close to the World Trade Center site.
Fortunately, I was able to book a room at the Embassy Suites, which happens to be across the street from the clients’ office.
I flew in Tuesday afternoon, and by the time I got settled into the hotel, it was past dinner time. I found a quiet restaurant in an indoor mall near the hotel, which turned out to be attached to the client’s complex.
The next day, I had a few hours to kill before the meeting, so I wandered further into the mall, stopping at the different shops, got a coffee, and basically loitered, with little to do before my meeting.
I found a group of metal benches in an open area. As I sat there, my mind occupied with all the details of the meeting to come, I failed to notice the series of steps that lead up and away from the area. These steps were capped by a series of floor to ceiling windows, in a sweeping arch. As I was going through the coming meeting in my mind, I began to realise that the area beyond the windows was clear of buildings; unlike the rest of Manhattan, and indeed New York itself, there were not buildings packed beside each other, competing for space and attention.
I slowly walked up to the windows, and had a sweeping view of the trade center site.


While it has long since been cleared and is now being rebuilt, the scene is eerily sober. I clearly felt a spirit that I can’t describe; it was both calming and sad.
As I quietly walked to the meeting, I was filled with a sense of the enormity of the situation. This was the site of that horrific day, 8 years ago, that played again and again in the media, and is emblazoned in our collective memories. Being that close to the location has brought a whole new level of awareness to me.
One more thing; the client’s building is actually called World Trade Centre Building 3. I was advised that due to the proximity to the site, security is very tight. To get to the client’s office, I was photographed, and had to clear 3 checkpoints, including a metal scanner. I can only imagine what it is like to go to work every day with this as regular procedure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your feeling at the site of the world trade centre remind me of the feelings I got when I visited the Vietnam was memorial in Washington DC in 1989. There seemed to be an invisible wall around the memorial and the closer I got to the memorial, the stronger the feeling was. When I actually stepped down and over to the wall, I was overcome by a feeling of great sadness, and nearly burst into tears. Seeing all of the notes, pictures, flags, etc. just increased the feeling.