Wednesday, September 17, 2008

One's view of their current job can be a funny thing. It seems like a common past time to grouch about all the things wrong with your job: bad boss, un cooperatice colleagues, crappy facilities: I'm sure we have all heard, if not echoed all the reasons why we don't like our current work.
Very often, I have heard from business colleagues who have professed to be so fed up with their work situation that they plan to find another job. Here's the funny thing; its' one thing to talk about leaving your job; its' entirely another matter to actually make the leap.
Recently, I made the switch from a sales manager role of a large software company, to a sales director role in a fast moving start up. Since the day that I announced to my now previous employer that I was leaving, up to and including this very day, I have been the object of a great deal of interest from employees of said previous employer. Its been everything from" How is the new job" to" You guys looking to hire" ( A real favorite of mine) to " I need to get the hell out of this job"....
In difference to respect for my previous employer, if not out of fear of legal reprisal, I have steered rather clear of recruiting any person from my previous employer(whom I shall refer to as MAJOR CORP from now on). I have met, at the request of individuals, over coffee, to explain why I was compelled to join my new company, what our expectations are, what the pay is like, etc; all the things sales minded folks want to hear, and all positive things.
And then...nothing.
I am of the firm belief that the fear of risk that comes with a voluntary job change far outwieghs the frustration of the current working environment for most people. Or...its more appealling to go where you are comfortable, as opposed to happy.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Hey Marc,

I love this post. I laugh all the time at people who complain and do nothing. Obviously there is a great risk involved leaving a job/career for another one, but if you are not happy take the risk and try to make things better for yourself.

Hope things are well for you,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hello Marc;

Leaving a job is one thing! However, leaving to go to a job of strict commission environment is a giant leap in itself.

Keep up the good work!

Your friend from the "Major Corp"

Jim